The Health Insurance Subsidy (HIS) is a monthly supplemental payment that helps to offset the cost of the member’s health insurance premiums. Eligible retirees or beneficiaries will receive a monthly HIS benefit equal to $5 per month for each year of FRS Pension Plan and/or Investment Plan service credit earned at retirement. The minimum HIS benefit is $30, not to exceed a maximum of $150 per month. This is an extra benefit; it does not come from the member’s Investment Plan account balance, nor is it a guaranteed benefit.
To be eligible to receive the HIS, the employee must:
- Meet the age or service requirements to qualify for normal retirement under the Pension Plan.
- Have taken a distribution from the Investment Plan OR be an Investment Plan Hybrid Option member who has begun receiving their Pension Plan benefit.
- Terminated all employment with all FRS-participating employers as described in Section 121.021(39), F.S.
- Satisfy the vesting requirements for the Pension Plan or be eligible for an FRS disability benefit.
- Provide proper documentation certifying that they have health insurance coverage (Cover Florida Health Care Access Program, Medicare, and TRICARE are accepted).
- Apply for the HIS by using the required FRS forms. You must apply to receive the HIS.
Only the surviving spouse named as the member’s beneficiary is eligible to receive the HIS in the event of the member’s death. Named beneficiaries other than the spouse are not eligible for the HIS. For more information and assistance with your FRS DROP HIS Benefit form, call : Fraser Allport, your Florida DROP Specialist at 386.882.6256. M-F, 1-8 pm, EST.
- Fraser can help you with the very first steps that you must take to exit your DROP.
- Fraser can help you meet the dates and deadlines for filing your DROP Exit forms.
- Fraser can help you determine what forms are needed, and help you complete them.
- Fraser can help you with independent choices for wisely investing your DROP Rollover money.
- Fraser can help you optimize your un-used Sick Days and Vacation Days in your DROP.
- Fraser can help you maximize your Social Security benefits for you and also for your Spouse.
- Fraser can help you with your Health Insurance, Medicare, and Long Term Care choices.
- Fraser can help you coordinate your Retirement Plans with your Spouse’s Retirement Plans.
- Fraser can help you reduce your Income Taxes in Retirement. This can save you a lot over time.
- Fraser can help you with your Estate and Legacy Planning. Fraser is a Certified Estate Planner™.
- Fraser can help you Get Your House In Order with Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney, Living Will, etc.
- Fraser can help you with a Home Health Care Plan, customized for you. Act now, while your health still qualifies.
Your DROP Plan is your Retirement Nest Egg.
Safeguard it by getting Smart with your Money.
Remember the two Golden Rules of Investing:
1) Don’t Go It Alone. Seek out Professional help.
2) It’s Never Too Early to Plan for Retirement. These are Big Decisions.
Be Smart with Your Money, because it’s Your Nest Egg and Your Health at stake here.
Make certain you are prepared for Retirement …
and prepared for Longevity if you are already Retired.
The Total Advisor, LLC is an Independent Retirement, Health Insurance, Tax and Estate Planning Firm owned by Fraser Allport. Fraser Allport is not associated with The State of Florida. Investment Advisory Services are offered through Coppell Advisory Solutions, LLC, dba Fusion Capital Management, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Florida License # A 004461. Please see full Disclosure at www.fraserallport.com.