From Fraser Allport, The Total Advisor™ 386.882.6256
Fraser’s “ 10 Step System ” helps you take control of your finances, health, and well-being with a holistic approach, so that your Retirement is the best chapter in Your Life Story.
Asking yourself, “ When can I retire ? ” is often the first step in planning your future. Now go a step further and ask yourself what it means to have a happy retirement ? Figuring out what you want to get out of your next phase in life can help determine timing, planning, goals, and a monthly Budget.
Tip # 1 : Find a Purpose
A new chapter in your Life with no alarm clock and work schedule can feel empowering at first. But it might also feel overwhelming depending on your adjustment to retirement. Initially, Retirees often have an “ Identity Crisis ”. Finding a purpose and passion can help you adjust to retirement and map out a future where you are happy, fulfilled, and your day is busy. Your goals will probably be different in retirement, but Goals are still integral to living a full Life, and may lead to better physical and mental health.1
Tip # 2 : Think About Your Health
Just as you’re taking steps to plan a financially secure future, planning for a healthy lifestyle also starts now. Assess your risk factors for common health issues, such as heart disease and diabetes. Checking and managing cholesterol, blood pressure, weight and blood sugar levels regularly can help identify exercise and dietary changes that can make a positive impact on your health and mood in retirement.2 Take some time for yourself, and go see a Doctor for a checkup.
Tip # 3 : Plan for Income
Ok, you’re planning for retirement, but what are you planning for? Travel and spending time with family come in as top retirement interests3, but when thinking beyond The Bucket List, what income sources will be there to cover regular expenses like food, housing, healthcare and transportation? Retirement solutions with benefits like reliable lifetime income and principal protection can help supplement other retirement savings. You do not want a monthly Retirement Budget where your Expenses exceed your Income, so plan ahead with :
- Lifetime Income. You cannot do a sound Retirement Budget unless you can depend on checks coming in. You need reliable Income, for Life.
- Protecting your Principal from losses. It is too late in your Life to lose your Nest Egg. You cannot afford to lose Money in Retirement. Fraser is a Fiduciary. His # 1 Rule is “ Don’t Lose Money “.
- Having Safe-Money Cash reserves. Having a handy liquid reserve for emergencies and enjoyment is critical.
- Creating an Estate Plan – Wills and Trusts, Powers of Attorney, HIPPA Forms, a Living Will, Final Expense Planning, etc.
Tip # 4 : Stay Positive
Retirement, like many milestones in Life, has ups and downs.4 There are circumstances that can impact your retirement plans, such as having to retire earlier or later than anticipated, or unexpected health issues. Keeping a positive perspective and attitude about this phase of life can help overcome challenges and benefit your overall well-being and sense of happiness.5 Attitude is Everything.
Tip # 5 : Find Your Community
Volunteering or living in a retirement community can lessen the risk of depression in retirement.6 If your career has largely defined your life, finding interests and spending time with other people is a positive way to transition into full retirement. There are many great resources to find volunteer opportunities in your area. Pick your Passion, and then go Volunteer !
Tip # 6 : Keep Learning
“ Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at 20 or 80. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. ” – Henry Ford
Retirement can finally give you the time you’ve always dreamed of to learn how to play an instrument, read great books, or travel the world. Whatever you choose as your new outlets, stimulating the mind not only keeps you busy, but might also keep you healthy. Engaging the brain can have benefits beyond physical health as well, such as improved motivation, confidence, and joy.7
Tip # 7 : Keep Moving
Staying active may positively impact achieving happiness in retirement. Just as your brain needs to stay active for a happier retirement, so does your body. And consequently, keeping your body moving also helps your brain, such as boosting your memory and reducing stress.8 Call it a win, win. Physical activity can also improve your mood, lower blood pressure, control weight, build muscle and help you feel and sleep better.9
Tip # 8 : Plan and Prepare
Don’t procrastinate or leave important decisions to chance. While it’s never too late to start saving for retirement; it’s also never too early to begin saving for retirement. Forty percent of Americans regret not saving earlier. Get ahead of the curve by thinking and planning for retirement now so you can be part of the 25% of America’s workforce who are “ Retirement Ready ”.10
Tip # 9 : Work on Your Bucket List
What have you always wanted to do with Your Life ? Your Bucket List does not have to cost a lot of money in order to be fulfilling. It could be as simple as learning to paint, or doing something outdoors in Nature. Life is full of wonder and surprises, so if you don’t have a bucket list, get started !
Tip # 10 : Seek Out Professional Help. You Don’t Have to Go It Alone
Financial Planning is not a DIY weekend project. Markets change, and managing your money never ends. You Retire, but your Money doesn’t. For the rest of your Life, it is wise to have a financial shepherd who is there for your ongoing financial needs and questions. Like any other Profession, Financial Planning is a Discipline grounded in education and experience. The Financial arena is a global and complex myriad of choices. Seek out a seasoned Professional, because your Money issues will make more sense to you if you have a financial teacher, tutor, mentor, and Life Coach at your side, like a co-pilot. Retirement Planning will involve some of the biggest financial decisions in your Life. There is no room for error, and sometimes, mistakes cannot be un-done. Your Financial Life will be easier if you have someone next to you, explaining and guiding.
- Fraser Allport, your Florida DROP Specialist, can help you with DROP, Social Security, Medicare, Retirement, Tax and Estate questions. Fraser can help you with all your Financial needs.
- Fraser’s 36 Years of experience, and his expertise in DROP, are the competence, guidance and leadership you need.
- If you near Retirement, call Fraser with your DROP, Retirement, Health Insurance and Estate Planning questions.
- Everyone’s situation is different, so Fraser will customize your Retirement Plan based on your situation.
- But you cannot make financial mistakes at this stage in your Life.
- So work with a Financial Professional. It’s unwise and risky to go it alone because you don’t know … what you don’t know.
- Please see Fraser’s invitation below for a Complimentary Consultation to help you start your Exit Plan to Retirement.
- Just starting any project is the hardest part, but Fraser can help shepherd you with a Plan of Action, Timelines, and specific Goals.
Contact Fraser today for your DROP Retirement Consultation
It is Too Late in Your Life to make Money Mistakes !
Be A Good Steward of Your Money.
Call Fraser, a Financial Professional with 38 Years of Experience.
You call a Professional for every other project in Your Life, right ?
Please see Fraser’s invitation below for a Complimentary Consultation to help you start your Exit Plan to Retirement.
Starting any Project is the hard part, but Fraser can help shepherd you with a Plan of Action.
Fraser Allport is a Fiduciary, an Investment Advisor,
and a Certified Estate Planner ™ with 38 years of experience.
Fraser is an Independent, and the Owner.
Call Fraser Allport, your Florida DROP Specialist, at 386.882.6256 for your Complimentary Consultation
about your DROP, Social Security, Medicare, Income Tax, Retirement and Estate Planning questions.
Knowledgeable in every aspect of Financial Services, Fraser is the Total Advisor ™.
An Experienced and Independent Fiduciary for all your financial needs.
Call Fraser for answers at 386.882.6256.
It’s a Complimentary Consultation.
Please see all of Fraser’s DROP articles in his extensive DROP Library at.
- Fraser can help you with the very first steps that you must take to exit your DROP.
- Fraser can help you meet the dates and deadlines for filing your DROP Exit forms.
- Fraser can help you determine what forms are needed, and help you complete them.
- Fraser can help you with choices for wisely investing your DROP Rollover money.
- Fraser can help you optimize your un-used DROP Sick Days and Vacation Days.
- Fraser can help you maximize your Social Security benefits for you and also for your Spouse. Note: Social Security decisions are irrevocable after 12 months.
- Fraser can help you with your Health Insurance, Medicare, Medicare Supplements Home and Long Term Care choices. Most Long-Term Care occurs in your Home.
- Fraser can help you coordinate your Retirement Plans with your Spouse’s Retirement Plans. You and your Spouse want to be in synch about Retirement.
- Fraser can help you reduce your Income Taxes in Retirement. This may save you a lot of money over the rest of your Life. Don’t over-pay your Income Taxes. What a waste of Money.
- Fraser can help you with your Estate and Legacy Planning. Fraser is a Certified Estate Planner™. Leave A Legacy, not A Mess. This is a moral as well as a Financial responsibility.
- Fraser can help you Get Your House In Order with Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney, A Living Will, Health Care Directives, Final Expenses, etc.
- Fraser can help you with a Home Health Care Plan, customized for you. Act now, while your health still qualifies. Home Health Care is the future of Long Term Care.
Your DROP Plan is your Retirement Nest Egg.
Safeguard it by getting Smart with your Money.
Remember the two Golden Rules of Investing:
1) Don’t Go It Alone. Seek out Professional help.
2) It’s Never Too Early to Plan for Retirement.
These are Big Decisions for You ... with really Big Consequences.
As You Retire, You are about to make some of the most important
financial decisions of Your entire Life : Social Security, Medicare,
Estate Planning, and what to do with Your DROP Lump Sum.
Be Smart with Your Money, because it’s Your Nest Egg.
Your Retirement is at stake here. These are Lifetime decisions.
Prepare for Retirement ...
and prepare for Longevity.
Because of his Knowledge and Experience for 38 Years ...
Fraser Allport is ... " The Total Advisor™ "
Contact Fraser today for your DROP Retirement Consultation
1 Greater Good Magazine, “How to Find Your Purpose in Life,” 2018.
2 American Heart Association, “Lifestyle Changes for Heart Attack Prevention,” 2018.
3 Forbes, “3 Things Most Americans Want in Retirement and How to Get Them,” 2017.
4 American Psychological Association’s Monitor on Psychology, “Retiring Minds Want to Know,” 2014.
5 Psychology Today, “Positive Attitudes About Aging May Be ‘Fountain of Youth,’” 2016.
6 U.S. News & World Report, “Can Retirement Be a Depression Risk?” 2017.
7 Harvard Business Review, “Lifelong Learning Is Good for Your Health, Your Wallet, and Your Social Life,” 2017.
8 The Guardian, “How Physical Exercise Makes Your Brain Work Better,” 2016.
9 Mayo Clinic, “Exercise: 7 Benefits of Regular Physical Activity,” 2016.
10 Indexed Annuity Leadership Council, “The State of America’s Workforce: The Reality of Retirement Readiness White Paper,” 2018.